Here is a list of helpful verses about Mormonism
from the Bible
. Latter-day Saints don't accept the Bible as their final authority, so the following verses don't ''prove'' anything to them. Because of the principle of continuing revelation, if the Bible interferes with modern teaching, the new supersedes the old. But for Christians
who want to compare what the Bible says with LDS doctrine, the following verses may be helpful.
- God is spirit: John 4:24.
- There is only one God: Deuteronomy 6:4 , 32:39 , Deuteronomy 13:1-3 , Isaiah 4:10 , 44:6-7 .
- God is not a man: Numbers 23:19 , Hosea 11:9 .
- No man can see God: Exodus 33:20 , John 1:18 , 1 Timothy 6:13-16 , 1 John 4:12 , Colossians 1:15 .
- God does not change or progress: 1 Samuel 15:29 , Malachi 3:6 , James 1:17 .
- God no longer dwells in temples made with human hands: Acts 7:48 , Acts 17:24 , Revelation 21:22 .
- God the Father and Jesus are One (the Trinity): John 1:1-2 , John 10:30 , John 14:16-20 , John 14:23 , Philippians 2:6 , Colossians 2:8-9 , 2 Peter 1:1 .
- We are not saved by works: Romans 3:28 , Galatians 2:16-3:25 , Ephesians 2:8-9 , Colossians 2:16-23 , Titus 3:5-6 .
- There is no second chance after death: Hebrews 9:27 .
- There is no pre-mortal existence: Genesis 2:7 , Psalm 139:13-16 , 1 Corinthians 15:46 .
- The Bible is to be unaltered: Proverbs 30:5-6 , Isaiah 40:8 , Revelation 22:18-19 .
- There is no marriage in heaven: Matthew 22:30 , Mark 12:25 , Luke 20:34-35 , Romans 7:1-2 .
- Old Testament-style prophets are no longer necessary because Jesus has come: Matthew 11:13 , Luke 16:16 , Hebrews 1:1-2 .
- Ministers may receive compensation: 1 Corinthians 11:13-15 , 1 Timothy 5:17-18 .
- Warnings against another gospel: 2 Corinthians 11:4 , Galatians 1:6-9 , 1 Timothy 1:3 .
About This Article
This article is an appendix from the book, Gentile Girl: Living With The Latter-day Saints, by Carol Avery Forseth, Jan. 2002, Crossroads Press, Fort Collins, Colorado, ISBN 0-9714782-0-1. The articles is posted at Apologetics Index by permission.
See also: What to Do about Your LDS Friends, by Carol Avery Forseth