Followers of the Summum faith say Moses made two trips down from the mountain. On one journey, the prophet returned with the Ten Commandments, “lower laws” that were easily understood and widely distributed.
The higher law obtained from the other trip, though, was passed down only to a select few who were able to appreciate it, according to the Salt Lake City-based religion.
– Source: Sect sues, asks equal space for ‘Aphorisms’, The Salt Lake Tribune, Aug. 3, 2005
According to Summum, established in 1975 and based in Salt Lake City, Moses received two sets of tablets. Before the Commandments, church doctrine says, he was given the “seven aphorisms” of a higher law. The Summum website says those relate to psychokinesis (the power of the mind to control objects); correspondence; vibration; opposition; rhythm; cause and effect; and gender.
– Source: High court considers religous display rules, USA TODAY, Apr. 1, 2008
The Seven Aphorisms of Summum
Summum has Seven Principles of Creation:
- The Principle of Psychokinesis: Summum is mind, thought; the universe is a mental creation.
- The Principle of Correspondence: As above, so below; as below, so above.
- The Principle of Vibration: Nothing rests; everything moves; everything vibrates.
- The Principle of Opposition: Everything is dual; everything has an opposing point; everything has its pair of opposites; like and unlike are the same; opposites are identical in nature, but different in degree; extremes bond; all truths are but partial truths; all paradoxes may be reconciled.
- The Principle of Rhythm: Everything flows out and in; everything has its season; all things rise and fall; the pendulum swing expresses itself in everything; the measure of the swing to the right is the measure of the swing to the left; rhythm compensates.
- The Principle of Cause and Effect: Every cause has its effect; every effect has its cause; everything happens according to Law; Chance is just a name for Law not recognized; there are many fields of causation, but nothing escapes the Law of Destiny.
- The Principle of Gender: Everything has its masculine and feminine principles; Gender manifests on all levels
– Source: Summum: A glimpse inside, The Salt Lake Tribune, Apr. 5, 2008