- Communicate the postmodern message in print
Emerging Church movement leaders are prolific writers. Their books are popular and they are well represented in Christian magazines and journals.
- Communicate the message over the internet
Emerging Church websites and blogs abound on the internet.
- Communicate the message in institutes of higher learning
Emerging Church leaders can be found on staff at many colleges and seminaries. They are also frequent guest speakers at these institutions.
- Conduct seminars around the world
The movement gives high priority to seminars and participants in the movement are expected to attend these.
- Form local communities of postmodern believers through "cohorts"
Cohorts are small groups that form over the internet and meet to discuss postmodern ideas. Emergentvillage.com recommends that these cohorts study McLaren's A Generous Orthodoxy together.
- Influence the leadership and membership of established churches
Through their published writings, seminars, and websites the movement's ideas are influencing and affecting established churches of every kind.
- Establish churches that are dedicated to the ideas and values of the movement
While this has not yet been as successful as they had hoped, a handful of Emerging Church congregations have been established.
- Engage in social activism
While Emerging Church leaders sometimes claim the Church should not be linked to any political agenda, most of them are quite tied to a liberal political agenda. (For an idea of the kind of activism emergents are inclined toward, visit the Sojourners website at http://www.sojo.net/ -- McLaren is on the board of this organization.)
Join us at Google+
If Comments are open, you can log in with your WordPress, Twitter, Facebook, or Google+ account.
Note: All comments are moderated. Our Comments policy
More Apologetics & Countercult Research?
Select a topic from our A-Z Index
See our home page
for the latest updates and additions to the site
Or use our Google-powered search engine:
This post was last updated: Feb. 13, 2013