PAGES IN THIS ENTRY:
- International House of Prayer (IHOP, or IHOP-KC)
- International House of Prayer (IHOP) -- Research Resources
Previous page: International House of Prayer (IHOP, or IHOP-KC)
International House of Prayer — Research Resources
- The “Harp and Bowl” 24-Hour Prayer Initiative and the ‘Restoration of the Tabernacle of David’ Excellent overview of the thinking, strange theology and history behind the IHOP ministry. By Tricia Tillin.
Way back in what seems another life, I researched the Kansas City Prophets phenomenon. That was, in its time, as gripping a tale as the Toronto Blessing and contained much the same material – manifestations, false prophecies and dominion doctrine.
Now some of the central figures involved in that discredited resurgence of the Latter Rain Movement are coming to public notice again for their Harp and Bowl initiative of round-the-clock prayer.
In order to understand the continuity of belief, we have to refer back to the earlier events.
- Love and Death In the House of Prayer By Jeff Tietz, Rolling Stone, January 21, 2014.
Tyler Deaton, a self-appointed apostle in one of the fastest-growing evangelical movements, loved Jesus, Harry Potter and, much to his dismay, other men. When his wife turned up dead, the secrets began to spill out.
- What Rolling Stone didn’t tell you about Tyler Deaton Background information provided by Kendall Beachey, a former IHOP member with knowledge of the people involved.
The Rolling Stone article captures the influences that IHOP’s theology had on Deaton. Did IHOP and Mike Bickle make Tyler? This is hard to say. Certainly no one wanted what happened to happen, nor would IHOP support the type of control present in Deaton’s group. Yet, the differences, real and very significant, are still not as drastic as some may like. […]
While intensified, twisted, and warped in Deaton’s group, the key dynamics of ecstatic religious experiences, charismatic giftings, and strong hierarchic authority based on religious devotion, fundamentalism, and asceticism are all values alive and well within the leadership culture of IHOP.
- Beyond Grace: ‘Commentary on the Last Days.’ The link leads to an index of articles and resources on the International House of Prayer (IHOP) and Mike Bickle
- Herescope. An online journal published by Discernment Ministries, Inc., revealing heresies and false teachings affecting the Church today.
- SadParent’s Weblog
I’ve lost a son (at least for now) to a thing called IHOP – he told me that “older and wiser council” had met with him. It was, therefore, his decision (after meeting with this ‘older and wiser council’) that he and I should have ZERO communication for “one year..at least”. One year at least… that was over 2 years ago.
That’s the beginning of a great novel in the making. It’s also the sad, sad truth behind the last 2 years and 3 months of my life. The International House of “Prayer” (and unaccredited university) has been the catalyst in tearing a once loving relationship between mother and son in half.
– Source: Sadparent’s thoughts about…
- A dark side to International House of Prayer’s allure Mary Sanchez, The Kansas City Star, November 14, 2012. Commentary in the wake of Bethany Deaton’s death.
- International House of Prayer (IHOP) Official website. Not recommended.